Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Monuments – By Kamala Wijerathna


The bus sweeps past the swinging trees
And the road unwinds long and cloud
The chassis creates with the load
And jots to a by road. (1)

The bus stops for a moment to load
And I see the writing on the halt
A wayside monument etched in gold.
“IN MEMORY OF MY SON” I get a jolt. (2)

The legend goes on, on every bus
Stand a new name every time but
 The story’s old “To the hero
Who fell the north erected by
Father, mother and next of kin” (3)

More than a dozen names penetrated my mind.
But I remember the one common to all
“Bandara” master of the soil
Some of those who teased out paddy from this land (4)

They would have ploughed this soil
Gathered the  harvest at reaping time
Followed their fathers with the paddy in bins
And sat by the hearth for the new rice
Served steaming and scented by a mother’s fond hands. (5)

While the Koha sang on the reabadu trees
The inscriptions hug the white walls
And the bus swings in and out of halts.
I gaze at the unwinding miles of the road
And try to make the broken images whole (6)

Vague shapes rise undefined infront of me
A farmer in a muddied loin cloth haunts me
And a housewife with billowing sleeves and string of beads
Stare at me out of the unwinding road
And their faces are stern with unshed tears.(7)






3 comments:

  1. it is best thing that is most usefull to students

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you can add some analysis for this poem it is very important & i am very appreciate about that

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete